Thursday, December 30, 2010

Yep, Homemade Turtles!

Less than 2 days before we get to start another year--what are you doing to celebrate? Christmas was rather low key this year as New Year's Eve will be. I'll be spending it with my mother and aunt and plans are to rent a sci-fi pic (a favourite genre of my rather cerebral aunt ;) Food will be healthy excepting the turtle candies that I just finished making. They are so much better than store bought! There is nothing like the taste of homemade caramel and the time used to make them is worth it. Best part is that I give most of them away as gifts or, if you're in my neck of the woods, stop by for a New Year's greeting and some candy!

A few days ago, Dead Poets Society was on t.v. Robin Williams as the English teacher was so wonderful. Thoreau's Walden is mentioned and I came across this quotation in a review:

"I learned this, at least, by my experiment; that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours." Walden, Henry David Thoreau

This will be my mantra for the upcoming year. I need to stop being afraid of the possibility of failure and just embrace the experience and "advance confidently". What's yours?

Wishing you a happy and fulfilling start to 2011!

1 comment:

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

Oooh, homemade turtles! Maybe I'll try those next year.

I love your mantra for the new year. It should serve you well, and I just KNOW you are going to have rich and wonderful experiences in 2011! (Please don't enjoy yourself so much that you don't keep us updated on your happenings!)