Saturday, September 11, 2010

I Read a Book!


Okay, I admit--the title to this post might be odd if you know me. As a new teacher and someone who majored in English you'd think that reading a book wouldn't be such a big deal! Well, it is to me because reading is something I haven't done of late, at least for pleasure.

So, I went to my library branch online and put a hold on "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo". I had seen the ads for the movie and they touted it as the movie of the smash best selling book. I had 14 days in which to read it (because it's in such high demand). The first few chapters were rather boring. If you know nothing about this book, it was written by a Swedish author. I often wonder how much is lost in the translation. So, lots of Swedish names and places I'd never heard of.

In brief, it's about a financial journalist who gets in trouble for writing an article about some big financial guy (sorry for the rather lame use of language!). He has to spend some time in jail for this but before he does, he is approached by the lawyer of another bigwig of Swedish industry. This person wants our lead character to find out what happened to his niece over 30 years before. The action finally starts to kick in once he begins his research. Intrigue, family drama, a serial killer--it's all here but at the end of the day there's nothing really new. If anything, this is an interesting book because it takes place in Sweden. It does have a different feel to it when comparing it to an American thriller of this sort. I want to watch the movie and see how it compares.

Anybody read anything lately that they would recommend? Fiction or non, I'm a fan of both! Now, off to choose my latest read :)

Have a beautiful weekend!

3 comments:

SL said...

I had the HARDEST time getting into The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. But I did enjoy it ... once I got past about the first 150 pages. Have you read The Help? Fabulous book.

Manuela said...

Thanks for the recommendation--I'll go look that one up right now!

JC said...

Hey girl, it has been a while since I've even looked at my own blog much less visited others. You left me a comment about thinking of going to Israel. I went with a group from my church but I didn't know any of my travel companions. Well I did know the Associate Pastor and his wife but not well. I haven't heard anything about them going back. It is important to spend time in prayer about whether or not to go. It is a major financial investment but for me it was well worth it. My email address is jimmieme@hotmail.com if you would like I'll give you more details. If you would like to connect wit someone who lives there go to a blog that is on my favorites list named Jerusalem Hills Daily Photo, the blogger's name is Dina. I communicated back and forth with her before I left. We were going to met in Jerusalem for coffee but my plans were changed. However, I did call her and we talked for over an hour. She is a lovely person. Email me.